tools_library_cross_cgif_100X181

Rehoboth United Methodist Church 18580 Partlow Road
Chilesburg, Virginia 23015

Pastor Chris Watson

100_5035 1 100_5066 1

Need Prayer? Online Prayer Request

Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
2 Corinthians 9:6-7

History of Rehoboth United Methodist Church

The Virginia Conference minutes of 1829 listed Caroline Charge for the first time as a separate appointment. No verification can be found prior to that time that Rehoboth was an organized unit, although it is believed to have been.

From 1830 to 1850 the “Old Rehoboth RUMC2Meeting House” was down the road from the present structure. In 1856, the present sanctuary was constructed of hand-made, oven-fired bricks from the fields near Partlow. Captain Partlow was responsible for having the church built and the stained glass window behind the pulpit i100_2181_2s in his memory. The other windows in the sanctuary were shipped from England and are believed to be handmade, which accounts for the bubbles in them. The pews are 100_2183_2still in their original design, being spaced widely to allow for the hooped skirts of the period. The dividing petition in the center kept the men on one side and the women on the other. The original oil lamps, pulpit and chancel rails are still in use. The balcony was designed and used for the plantation owners’ slaves with a separate outside entrance. This entrance was closed with bricks and the current balcony steps were installed.

In March 1962, the first spadeful of soilscan0001_2 was turned for the Educational building, with the first classes being held in September  1963. Our church school continues to be a vital part of our ministry to persons of all ages.